The Pareto Principle (the 80/20 rule):
The Pareto principle (also known as the 80-20 rule, the law of the vital few, and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.
Based on this logic, there are a number of lifestyle changes you could, and should be making or have made which would probably have a significant impact.
A few of many examples:
- When you clean your house, should you spend all-day cleaning it? Do people really care if you make it perfect? Or, could you clean it “most of the way”, and actually enjoy life a little…knowing people probably won’t even notice the parts you didn’t clean?
- Could you shift your focus towards only doing 20% of the projects you want to accomplish in a day/week/month if you focused on the most important ones? This is of course with the understanding that by doing the most-important 20%…you will get 80% of the results of doing it.
- What if you only picked the top 20% most-important of all of your “required” commitments, could you ditch (or say no) to the remaining 80% and live life the way you wanted to during that newly found time?
- And on…and on…
There has to be a number of things that you can think of…
…where if you did the most-important 20% of those things…
…that got you 80% of the results given by doing those things…
You could forget doing the remaining 80% of those things altogether.
What I’ve revealed here is a big, deep, secret to my life that has allowed me to enjoy life at a pace and with a quality that cannot be matched.
I wish you the same quality of life (or better) for 2011.
Get to it.